Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt is one of the nation's leading children's hospitals. We treat and help prevent health issues ranging from colds and broken bones to heart disease and cancer. We are a nonprofit facility and care for children regardless of their families' ability to pay. Our patients represent many ethnicities, religions, and creeds. While most of them are from Nashville and the surrounding counties and states, some come from across the country to access our specialized services.
The world-class facilities at Children's Hospital are a testament to our community's dedication to the health of children. Constructed in 2004 and expanded in 2012 and 2019, our 343-bed hospital is a child-friendly place built on the science of healing.
Vertical Expansion - Updated March 2021
- The project includes construction of four patient floors, with two built out and two shelled for future growth.
- The two completed floors will add about 85,000 square feet of space and 76 inpatient beds.
- The expansion includes additional infrastructure and ancillaries to support occupancy, including two new visitor elevators, food service expansion, a satellite pharmacy, respiratory care and laboratory space.
- The 10th floor, which consists of a 38-bed dedicated cardiac care unit, opened in June 2019.
- Part of the 11th floor, which consists of an additional 23 NICU beds, opened March 2020.
- The remainder of the 11th floor space will open in Fall 2021.
Many of our doctors and surgeons are nationally recognized researchers who are finding new ways to cure and prevent childhood diseases. Their work in preventing and treating cancer, congenital heart disease, autism, cystic fibrosis, obesity, undiagnosed genetic disease, inflammatory bowel disease, infectious diseases and many other conditions, as well as their work in vaccine research, is an investment in the future. Our commitment to research and advocacy positions us to bring the promise of good health to children and families in our community and to share that hope with the world.