Benefits extended to the housestaff from both the department of Pediatrics and Vanderbilt University Medical Center are listed below. Browse the Office of Graduate Medical Education website for further information regarding health plans, life insurance policies, and retirement information.
Three weeks of vacation are provided to each intern and resident, with an additional six days off at the winter holiday.
Each member of the housestaff is given a meal allowance for the year based on the number of in-house calls expected. This can be used at vending machines, the cafeteria, campus coffee shops, and the undergraduate campus food court. Lunch is provided at all educational conferences.
Scrubs are provided at no cost to the housestaff through conveniently located dispensing machines. Each member is allotted 3 pairs of scrubs, with free laundry of these at any time. Additionally, two physician coats are provided, embroidered with the physician's name, at the beginning of the year. Dry cleaning services for these coats are also provided at no charge. Housestaff also receive alphanumeric pagers at no expense.
Residents have the opportunity to present research projects at national meetings, with the expenses covered by the program and sponsoring divisions.
Parental Leave / Adoption
Parental leave is available to eligible residents for the birth or adoption of a child under the FMLA and the Tennessee Maternity Leave Act (TMLA). If certain conditions are met, a resident may be eligible for maternity (or other) leave related to adoption, pregnancy, childbirth, and/or nursing an infant for a period of up to four months. Time off under the TMLA and the FMLA runs concurrently. If paid sick or vacation time is available, it must be used prior to going into unpaid status. Contact the Office of GME for more information about qualifying conditions and the provisions for maternity leave under these laws.
Vanderbilt University pays the premium for HIV Indemnity Insurance, Workers Compensation, Professional and General Liability Insurance, Accident Travel, and Long Term Disability (Basic). Health insurance with national providers, dental insurance, and life insurance are available at a significantly reduced rate to housestaff. Retirement contributions are placed in a 403(b) account and are matched "dollar for dollar" (up to 5-percent of gross income) by the medical center.
- Access to the Biomedical Library and thousands of electronically stored journals. The library also offers free services to uptodate and mdconsult.
- Parking in a covered garage adjacent to the hospital is provided at no cost to housestaff.
- Direct deposit of monthly pay is available at most banks.
- Each class enjoys a mini-retreat each year with activities such as canoeing, ropes courses, financial seminars, and exercises in group dynamics. Resident Appreciation Day offers a full 24 hour day off to all housestaff (with faculty and community physicians providing coverage) for social activities and well-deserved time off as a group.
- Advanced life support training is provided during orientation and also during a recertification period in the PL-2 year.
- On-site child care for Vanderbilt faculty and staff is offered at competitive rates.
- Membership to American Academy of Pediatrics and Cumberland Pediatric Foundation is paid by the program.
- $500 professional allowance is provided for PGY-3's.