The Department of Pediatrics is pleased to offer a stipend for two visiting students completing a 4-week Pediatric Acting Internship (AI) or Advanced Clinical Elective (ACE). In addition to providing robust clinical experience, each student will have opportunities to meet with Departmental DEI leaders and members of the Health Equity Task Force, and to learn about work going on across the institution. Selected students will also receive a $2,000 stipend to cover transportation, lodging, meals, and other necessary expenses.
Applications are now closed for the 2023-2024 academic year.
The Department of Pediatrics is dedicated to promoting an inclusive work environment which welcomes all backgrounds and experiences, reflective of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to promoting health equity and delivering high-quality care to patients and families. We both recognize and acknowledge the numerous barriers which many underrepresented minorities have faced historically in pursuing careers in medicine. By creating our Underrepresented Minority in Medicine (URiM) Visiting Scholar Program, we pledge to support URiM medical students planning to purse a career in pediatrics, in concert with our mission of fostering diversity, reducing health disparities, and promoting health equity.
Learn more about how VUMC and the Department of Pediatrics is advancing health equity:
To be considered for the Program, each student must:
- Be in good academic standing
- Have a strong interest in pursuing a career in Pediatrics
- Have a desire to learn more about Pediatrics at Vanderbilt
- Have completed their core clerkships by the start of the visiting rotation
While we are committed to diversity and recognize there are many minorities underrepresented in medicine, at this time our Program is only accepting candidates from racial/ethnic groups under-represented in medicine (URiM). VUMC currently defines URiM as the following: Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, American Indian or Alaskan Native, and Pacific Islander or Native Hawaiian.
- Complete an application in VSLO for any Pediatric Acting Internship (AI) or Advance Clinical Elective (ACE). Please be aware that all institutional requirements need to be met.
- Complete the VUMC URiM Visiting Scholar Program application: https://redcap.vanderbilt.edu/surveys/?s=9WE4HFE3XDD8HH78
Information about where to stay can be found here.
We look forward to hearing from you!